Friday, April 12, 2013



Alright all you sports fans the big controversy topic that keeps the ESPN announcers talking is, “Can Baylor’s Brittney Griner play in the NBA. Brittney Griner is an American women's college basketball player at Baylor University in Waco, Texas who stands 6 ft 8 in, wears a men's US size 17 or 18 shoe and has an arm span of 86”! Holy shit…can you say beast mode! Grinder has changed the women’s game with 14 career dunks and leaving her mark in the NCAA women’s basketball record book. Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban got himself some publicity last week by saying he'd consider drafting Baylor women's basketball star Brittney Griner in this year's NBA Draft. This then brings me to the meat of this post. I came across an article that was completely bashing the idea of a women playing in the NBA. However, is it bad that I completely agree? But why does there need to be articles articulating people’s opinions comparing men and women. For example Charles Barkley, Basketball Hall of Famer, quotes, “If [Cuban] brought her in, yeah, they'd sell some tickets to the summer league, which I don't understand what type of losers would go to the summer league, anyway. I agree with Geno, 100 percent. A girl can't play against men. Listen, it's just publicity [stunt]. Mark's one of my great friends, but a woman can't play against a man." In the same manner, UConn women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma strongly disagreed with Cuban's idea that the 6-8 post player could play professionally against men. During a conference call, Auriemma called the idea a "sham" and "absolutely ludicrous." Later on in the article it keeps repeating, “Women can’t play in the NBA.”
 
My second concept about Brittney Griner relates to our class discussion about transgender. Many people on twitter and Facebook say that Griner is a man because of how she looks and her freakish basketball abilities. I wonder how she is handling the criticism and rude comments. I mean with a girl of a size 17 or 18 shoe, where the hell would you find that. But you know what it is just like that little girl in the class video, Jazz. She is confident and believes in herself which is why she is very
successful.



Okay, as a female basketball player, I completely agree, but why are there multiple articles and social media about this topic. The men’s game is completely different, more physically, and faster. Lastly, I want to leave on this note. I do wish/hope she gets a chance to try out. I would hate to see her lose this one in a life time opportunity not only for her but for female athletes everyone due to gender related issues!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Amy,
    It would be really interesting to see how she would do trying out for the men's team. I'm sure she is equally qualified. But, the fact that you mentioned that men's and women's basketball is played a little differently, that might be a concern. But, I'm sure it's not like she's never played against guys before in her athletic life!

    However, I personally, would like to see Brittney's type of talent propel women's basketball further in the mainstream and in popularity, especially on television. She could really be source of inspiration, as well as a great role model for young girls interested in pursuing a career in prrofessional women's basketball in the future!
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi AMY!

    I like this topic a lot, its really interesting and is the start of making history. But i personally think that she would not be successful in the NBA. I dont want that to sound sexist or rude but I've watched her play in that Louisville loss and she could barley do anything against athletes who weigh less than 150lbs and who were half her height. Imagine her going against Le Bron James 230lbs and the same height as Britney. Its simple science. Millions of athletes get rejected from professional sports every year because they dont have the physical stature to compete against these giants. I dont think it has anything to do with her being a girl as much so as it is that she physically cant move well enough to compete against these HUGE men. On the other hand I think it would be cool to see if she tried out in a summer league or spring training or some kind of tryouts. I think people deserve to a chance to prove themselves. I know for me coming straight out of college not many employers are going to take a chance on me because of lack of experience in the work field. All it takes though is one chance to prove yourself to change peoples opinions. So i say give her a shot. If she makes it ill be the first one to tell you I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete