Monday, March 11, 2013

Food for thought,
 
This is kind of an outside posting. Nothing to do with the book about Foucault and his theory on power, but I would like to address one thing. I was wondering how the males in this Communication class think and feel. I feel like each and every example we explain perceives a bad impressed on the male gender. Or describe a situation where a male has acted poorly or behaved inappropriately; however, that is not the case for all men. There are some men out there that are true gentlemen and are professional. I think we should start putting a positive spin on the male/female gender. But is there a positive approach to this specific topic? Females have been fighting for our rights for a very long time. Will there ever be gender equity?

1 comment:

  1. Amy,
    You make such a great point. I would like the men to really talk about how they feel regarding their gender, and how they feel feminism has related to them personally. I, too, have met some very respectful, educated and polite men. I know that there are many in our class. Do they feel confused, or that feminism has gone too far, or not? What situations have they encountered that have left them confused? I know, I still have some issues and am confused by what it means to be a feminist. This is why I'm reading a book Dr. Crafton mentioned at the beginning of the semester entitled, "To Be Real." The book includes essays written by prominent women in their fields about their confusion at times with what it means to be a feminist. Actually, Dr. Crafton assigned one of them for our reading today.

    Colleen

    ReplyDelete