Monday, March 25, 2013


What does a “gay lifestyle” entail? How would someone living a “gay lifestyle” live? There are those who are struggling with same-sex attraction and are trying to not act on that and then there are those who are celebrating it, who are intentionally living that lifestyle and feeling accepted by God. Many people perceive a “gay lifestyle” as unhealthy. This is untrue. According to Faucault, “Heterosexuality does; instead presents the freedom, and the challenge, to develop a meaningful lifestyle.” Pg. 142

The reason why I wanted to discuss this controversial topic of gay lifestyles is because I have a friend who is struggling to come out of the closet and is scared to tell her family members. She has a very good support group of friends who accept her for who she but she is nervous her family will think differently of her. I feel bad for her because I think she is confused and on one hand, wants the society norm (husband and wife) but on the other, I believe she is truly attractive to girls. She told me once that she will not tell her family because she is waiting for the right “girl” to come along and actually make it worthwhile. I wonder how she is feeling about living this double life?

2 comments:

  1. Amie,
    You make me think about the many social and cultural norms that people struggle to live up to when it goes against their nature and the core ways they see themselves. I wonder about the boys who grow up in athletic minded families but who are more interested in art or the little girls who are fascinated by science and math but not so much with clothes and make-up. Social systems and expectations weigh heavily and I'm sure your friend is having a difficult time; but I'm also sure that as she goes through a process of self-acceptance with friends like you at her side, she will be more able to put authentic self out there to others. Interesting topic, good questions. I wonder if you have a specific experience with this friend that you could have detailed in the blog including maybe a conversation with her that would shed more insight into the issue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    I'm sure your friend is experiencing a lot of inner struggle and confusion about coming out to her parents. I wonder if it might be a good idea for her to talk to a psychologist privately first, in order for her to get a handle on her fears, as well as the "double-life" that she's experiencing. Sometimes these professionals have a way of putting things in perspective, and may even offer some tips on how she can discuss this issue with her parents effectively.

    I think it's great that you and your friends are supporting her through this difficult time. Thankfully, we are currently living in a more accepting society regarding the gay lifestyle than in previous generations. But, we still have long way to go.

    ReplyDelete